It can be a dilemma if you love where you live but need extra space. Moving house is
expensive but that extra bit of square footage can make a big difference to everyday life;
which is why a loft conversion could be the answer.
A loft conversion doesn’t just add space; it could add as much as 22% onto the value of your
home. But knowing how to kick start a loft conversion project can be daunting, so here are
some tips for getting it right:
- Check the ceiling price of your home – this is your property’s maximum value so
look at what other houses in your area have sold for. A reasonably sized loft
conversion costs around £40,000 to £50,000 but a simpler conversion will be
reflected in the price.
- Can your loft be converted? Think about whether your loft can be converted in the
first place. An easy way to check is to make sure you’ve got enough head height. As
a guide, you’ll need a minimum 2.2m of clearance to make it worthwhile.
- Check planning permission – many loft conversions will fall under ‘Permitted
Development’ (PD for short). This means you won’t need planning permission as
long as the work doesn’t increase the size of your roof space by more than 50m 3
(40m 3 for terraced houses. For peace of mind, apply for a ‘Lawful Development
Certificate’ (LDC) which confirms that you don’t need planning permission.
- Are you in a designated area? If your home is in a designated area, such as a
conservation area, you could find your PD rights are limited so always check with
your local planning office.
- Cost effective conversions – the simplest and most cost effective conversion is one
where you turn your roof space into a room. It’s also the least disruptive way of
conversion and means no need for alterations to your roofline.
- Consider insulation – good insulation means you’ll get the most of your conversion
so it can be used all year round. If you’re intending to use the room for a specific
purpose – such as a music room, or art studio then you’ll have to make sure the
sound proofing and light is adequate.
Of course, the best way to make the most of your loft space and your budget is to consult a
professional. At Power2Build, we offer a complete service – from the design, project
management, right through to the delivery of your new conversion. So why not unlock the
value and space in your home and call us on 0800 434 6668 / 0208 452 1187 or make an
enquiry for a free, no obligation quote?